Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Chris McCandless: Brave, Passionate Adventurer or Ungrateful Moron?

In YouTube videos and in discussions around the topic of Chris McCandless’ adventure, I continually see two contrasting images portrayed of McCandless, neither of which I find myself able to side with. In responding to his death and the decisions that caused it, official ABC coverage of the report starts out by painting McCandless as some kind of ruthless fool who was “rejecting his identity.” That phrase does not sit right with me. First of all, who are these reporters to know anything of his real identity? Based on what I have read and learned of McCandless, his act of rebellion or maybe insanity or maybe impulsive bravery is nothing short of the perfect definition of who he really is. So there is one side to the argument that I have seen. It is the side that believes that Chris McCandless is a bored ungrateful brat with nothing better to do than “put himself to some kind of test” (ABC reporting) that would likely end badly.
            The other side to the argument is one that I find just as hard to agree with. It is the side that admires McCandless for his feat. I hear of this side mainly in discussion, and while I myself am sometimes the person to raise the point, I would not be so quick to say that I think he is brave or admirable at all. While I recognize the courage it must take to embark on this journey—even if it is his believed destiny—it is hard not to see the selfish side to his actions. Sure, he himself was passionate and determined to go off on his own into n environment he was unlikely to return from, but what about those who would miss him? What about his family, who had put time and money into his life and his future? One could argue that it was all wasted. One could also argue that good fortune like that can never be wasted, as it makes an individual more mature within their own understandings and thoughts. I am in favor of the latter. But I also must consider his other selfish actions. In a video concerning things not commonly known about Chris McCandless on YouTube, a man shares a story of a robbery in his home in the woods at the same time of McCandless’ journey. Initially believed to be a bear attack, it initially became evident that the damage done could only have been the work of a human. A disconnected stove was disconnected properly and gently, and moved outside. Other signs indicated a human’s presence in the house, leading the owner of the house to strongly believe that the intruder was McCandless. This is an example of the selfishness in his actions. Not only that, but to leave his parents without a son is considerably selfish.

            After rereading my blog, I want to say that I am decidedly not a fan of McCandless’ actions. But then I think again, and honestly, who is anyone to stop him if that is what he is sure he must do? There is so much to be unsure about in life. So much to fear, so much to worry over, so many reasons to hesitate…a part of me wants to say, if this guy is lucky enough to feel so strongly about something, get out of the way and just let him give it his best shot.

1 comment:

  1. Ava- debate both sides and then land on passion, which fits what I know of you and your values. You're that passionate person, too, and you've appreciated that in McCandless in discussions. I share your admiration for those who can resist social expectations and listen to their own heart. It's not easy.

    ReplyDelete